Laponie’s approach to skincare is based on three tried and tested cornerstones: cleanse, hydrate and care, i.e., nourish and protect. On top of these, your skin may need some targeted care to treat specific issues. To put it simply, you need the right cleanser followed by a product or products containing both hydrating ingredients as well as oils in some form. For specific issues, say dryness or impurities, you can add a mask or a serum. And always remember sunscreen during daytime.
WHAT DOES YOUR SKIN REALLY NEED - AND WHAT DO YOU LIKE?
How would you describe your skin? When you start building your routine take a look at your skin: what does it need, what does it look or feel like and what possible issue might you need to address. Also think about whether you’re after a simpler or more comprehensive routine. Skincare should also suit your life STYLE.
IT ALL STARTS WITH A PROPER CLEANSE
A good cleanser will take off makeup, dirt, excess sebum and impurities gently but thoroughly, without drying skin out. This means a good cleanser will get skin clean without stripping it of natural oils and disturbing the skin’s protective barrier. The goal of cleansing is clean skin, without a dry or tight feel.
- Choose our mild but efficient, oil-based Mild Milk Cleanser if your skin is prone to dryness, it's red, irritated or sensitised.
- Choose our gently deep cleansing, non-foaming Gentle Gel Cleanser if you have combination or oily skin, or skin prone to congestion and impurities.
- Choose our Nourishing Oil Cleanser for very dry skin or congested skin. It's also great as a first cleanser for either the Milk or Gel.
You can also alternate with different cleansers if your skin sometimes need a deeper cleanse (e.g., in the evening) or if your skin’s needs vary from day to day.
YOUR SKIN NEEDS HYDRATION – AND POSSIBLY TARGET PRACTICE
With your choice of cleanser set up, the next step is hydration. For this, you’ll want humectants, which are hydrating substances that attract water to skin and maintain skin’s hydration balance. Skin contains humectants on its own, and when these are depleted, skin may look dry. When skin is de-hydrated, it’s protective barrier is also more easily compromised, which can make skin more prone to e.g., impurities and irritation. This is skin hydration is an essential step in everyday skincare.
- Choose the Hydrating Face Mask when you need intense hydration and nourishment. Apply to cleansed skin, let sit and wash or tissue off before applying other product.
- Reach for our Balancing Essence when you need light but pure all-around and intense hydration. The Essence also helps prep skin for other products, and is suitable for all skin types, especially dry sensitive or irritated skin.
- Pick the Calming Serum if your skin is irritated or red, and you need a soothing boost to tackle e.g. rosacea and POD.
- Pick the Clarifying Serum if your skin is prone to impurities and excess oil. The Clarifying contains plenty of humectants and will not dry out skin.
- Pick the Renewing Serum if your skin is dull, has an uneven tone or you’re dealing with pigmentation and fine lines. For oilier types, the Serum may be enough on its own, but for drier skin follow up with a care product containing oil.
Dealing with a multitude of issues? Pick and mix - and layer products!
YOUR SKIN NEEDS NOURISHMENT AND PROTECTION – GOOD OLD CARE
The last step is to nourish and protect skin, while locking in hydration. This means adding oils in some form. As is the case with humectants, the skin contains natural oils and a lack of these may be visible as dryness and an impaired skin barrier. The purpose of oils is to nourish, protect and soften skin and prevent TEWL, transepidermal waterloss. And this is why adding oils is the third important step of skincare. Always remember that an oil cannot hydrate skin as they cannot bind water, which is why it’s very important to pair a pure oil product with a product containing humectants.
We get a lot of question about which oil is suitable for e.g., dry skin and which for say acne. Many with oily skin or impurities are also scared of using oils at all. The number one takeaway is that all types of skin need oil in some form. Which oil suits you, is down to the oil’s composition. i.e., its fatty acid profile. Oils high in oleic acid are generally better suited for drier skin, while oils high in linoleic acid usually work well for e.g., acne prone and oily skin. We’ve used both types in our products, to make them work for various skin types and issues and used a lot of times to find an optimal balance. The key here is dose – if your skin is on the oilier side, use a smaller amount of oil-based products.
BUT HOW TO CHOOSE YOUR CARE PRODUCT?
If you want to use just one product after cleansing, go for an emulsion, which is basically any kind of cream, a moisturiser, which contains both humectants and oils, i.e., they hydrate, nourish and protect skin in one go. So the bare minimum after cleansing is a moisturiser. You could also combine serum or face oil with your cream, if you need added care.
- If you need a lighter moisturiser, choose our Face Cream, which is a light and hydrating gel-cream.
- If you need a richer product, pick our 2-in-1 Hydrating Face Mask & Cream, and use it as you would a face cream.
- Choose our Face Oil if your skin is prone to dryness or dehydration (this can be the case for oily skin, too), or if you need extra care or a softening boost. The Oil paired with our Essence is a great option for sensitised and irritated skin which can’t handle emulsifiers. Always, always use the Face Oil over a hydrating product.
- Choose the All-Around Balm if you need a richer product to boost the Face Oil or instead of it. The Balm is a great option especially for very dry and rough skin that has trouble retaining hydration and need a protective layer. The Balm is an excellent cold weather cream and also works well mixed with a few drops of the Face Oil. As with the Oil, always use the Balm together with a hydrating product.
And you don't have to just choose one! Mix and match as many as you feel like your skin needs.
Need a recap?
Is your head in a routine spin? Don’t worry! You can check out our handy chart on how to build your routine. But as a final quick recap: healthy skin is clean, and always needs hydration, nourishment and protection. So 1) pick your cleanser, 2) pick your hydrating product and 3) pick your oil-based product OR after cleansing pick one product containing both humectants and oils. Easy peasy.
We’ve put together some example routines here and if you want more info about using our core products, check out this blog post. If you need help with picking a serum to treat specific skin issues, check out this blog post.
If you need help with your routine, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Instagram or Facebook.