Our Calming Treatment is a light and clear gel-serum that soothes and repairs sensitive and problem skin - so much that Finnish magazine Trendi chose the treatment as Best Natural Serum of 2020.
Formulated with 1.5% madecassoside from the Centella Asiatica plant, plant-derived rhamnose sugar, and our favourite multitasking ectoin, it calms angry skin, repairs the skin barrier and rejuvenates skin. Great for alleviating symptoms of rosacea and perioral dermatitis (POD), and is gentle alternative for tackling hormonal bumps.
Formulated for sensitive & problem skin. No added fragrance. Vegan & natural ingredients. Developed in our own Helsinki lab & made in Finland.
How to use & tips
- Apply sparingly to cleansed skin before oils and creams, before or after any toner. Can be used locally or on the entire face. Please note: Applying too much will cause product to pill.
- Tip 1: Great for alleviating symptoms of rosacea and perioral dermatitis, and gentle enough for the under-eye area.
- Tip 2: Layer under our All-Around Balm to help scars fade.
- Tip 3: Use together with our Face Toner for the ultimate calming SOS treatment.
- Tip 4: A drop mixed into our Face Cream will add a calming boost.
Why it works for sensitive & problem skin
- We've used a minimum of ingredients - only eleven go into the Calming Treatment.
- It's formulated without added fragrance and alcohol, and with a skin-friendly preservative system.
- The Calming Treatment contains 1.5% madecassoside, which has excellent skin soothing, anti-inflammatory and wound healing properties, reduces redness and flaking, and increases skin hydration in an oil-free base made of classic humectants such as glycerin and propanediol along with rhamnose sugar for a smoothing effect.
- The Calming Tretament's pH is around 5.5 (healthy skin's own pH is slightly acidic, between 4.8 and 5.5) and it has been rigorously tested by our founder Kristina and chemist Jaana, both of whom have a long history of sensitive and problem skin.
Bottle made of light protective violet glass, pipette made of glass, PE-HD and nitrile rubber, label made of PE and outerpack made of cardboard.
We are ingredient minimalist – we like leaving stuff out rather than putting more in. Skincare doesn’t have to be complicated, but it has to work.
Solvent. Water. The main vehicle for our Calming Treatment.
Humectant. Rhamnose is a plant-based sugar with hydrating, anti-inflammatory, skin soothing and skin rejuvenating properties. We get ours directly from our lab-neighbour Juho.
Solvent and humectant. Apart from being an excellent, non-irritating solvent, the glycol propanediol has excellent hydrating and preservative boosting properties. The one we use is made from fermentation of glucose, from corn.
Humectant and skin protecting. Technically a sugar alcohol, glycerin is one of the oldest, most common and most versatile humectants used in cosmetics. It moisturises and protects the skin, accelerates skin barrier recovery and has antimicrobial properties, among other things. We use the vegetable, organic kind, made from rapeseed, corn and soy.
Anti-oxidant and skin-conditioning. Madecassoside is a highly purified glycosylated triterpen of the Centella Asiatica or Gotu Kola plant, also known as tiger grass, which has a long history of use in Eastern medicine. It has skin soothing, anti-inflammatory and wound healing properties, reduces redness and flaking, and increases skin hydration. The madecassoside we use is sustainably (UEBT/Nagoya Protocol) wild-harvested on Madagascar and processed in France. Our Calming Treatment contains 1.5% madecassoside.
Skin conditioning. Ectoin is a powerful, small, multi-tasking and natural stress-protection molecule, a so-called extremolyte. From a chemical point of view, it is a cyclic amino acid derivate. Extremolytes protect extremophilic microorganisms and plants from the extreme conditions of their habitats like salt lakes, hot springs, permanent ice or deserts. The properties of ectoin have been proven by various in-vivo studies: its benefits include long-term moisturisation, diminished skin roughness, skin barrier repair and anti-inflammatory and anti-irritant properties. We get ours from a lovely little company in Germany, where it is produced through biotechnological fermentation from a specific, non-GMO strain of the halophilic bacteria Halomonas elongata.
Skin conditioning and preservative. Sodium levulinate is the sodium salt of levulinic acid, which is an organic acid derived from in this case sugarcane.
Thickening, gel forming and stabilising. A natural and commonly used mainly thickener and gelling agent in cosmetics, xanthan gum is a polysaccharide produced through bacterial fermentation of pure culture Xanthomonas Campestris with protein and carbohydrate sources, in this case from soy or corn. Together with acacia senegal gum, it makes up the gel base for our Calming Treatment.
ACACIA SENEGAL GUM→
Film forming. Also known as gum arabic, acacia gum is a natural gum consisting of the hardened sap of two species of the acacia tree. In cosmetics, acacia gum is used for it's ability to create less stringy, or slimy and sticky, gels. The acacia gum we use is ethically and sustainably handpicked in Africa, and is a 100% renewable raw material.
Antimicrobial, flavouring agent and preservative. The salt form of star anis derived organic acid. Together with sodium levulinate makes up the Calming Treatment's preservation system.
Buffering agent. Citric acid is a commonly used buffering, i.e. pH adjusting, agent in cosmetics. The appropriate pH is vital for a product's preservative system to work, but also to guarantee its skin-friendliness. Citric acid is made through bacterial fermentation and shifts the pH of the product into the acidic range. This is closer to the natural pH of the skin, which may range from 4 to 7, but is usually thought to be between 5 and 6, with recent studies, however, indicating it to be below 5.
The Laponie Lab
All Laponie of Scandinavia products are developed in our own lab outside our native Helsinki. Our lab is run by our head of R&D, cosmetic chemist Jaana and our founder Kristina also works in the lab with her. Everything the ladies make in the lab, they test on their sensitive- and problem-skinned selves.
20 ml / fi