Balancing Essence Mist
Hydrating & soothing mist
Free delivery on all orders over 50€. Delivery in 2-6 business days.
Same stuff, new name and packaging!
We love feedback from you guys, and as a result, may we present: the Balancing Essence, formerly known as the Face Toner. Many of you said the name just did not describe what it did - so we changed it. Some of you also wanted a finer mist-like spray - so we upped the ante on the bottle's nozzle. Enjoy!
Our Balancing Essence is a hydrating, soothing and conditioning treatment essence for sensitive and problem skin. It's made with classic, plant-based glycerin (the queen of humectants if you ask us), multitasking, natural ectoin for longterm hydration, smoothing giant kelp extract and calming liquorice root. Use after cleansing, as a hydrating second step in your routine, to prep for other products or to freshen up and soothe skin.
Dealing with parched winter skin or face masks giving you a hard time? The Essence is great for spraying on throughout the day to soothe skin. And oh - our super sensitive friends like to pair the Essence with our Face Oil for emulsifier-free hydration and care.
Formulated for sensitive & problem skin. No added fragrance. Vegan & natural ingredients. Developed in our own Helsinki lab & made in Finland.
How to use & tips
How to use & tips
- Close eyes and spray on face after cleansing, before oils or creams, after or before (water-based serums).
- Tip 1: Use to set make-up or as a quick pick-me-up during the day.
- Tip 2: Spray on a cotton pad and wipe face after cleansing, to remove any residue from cleansers.
- Tip 3: Mix a couple of pumps with a few drops of our Face Oil for one step hydration and nourishment.
- Tip 4: Sun got to your skin? Use the Essence for natural and vegan after-sun care - spritz affected areas to calm and soothe. Can be applied to scalp as well.
- Tip 5: Irritated scalp? The Essence is light enough to use on your scalp.
- Tip 6: Dealing with maskne (acne cause by wearing a face mask)? The Essence is great for soothing skin throughout the day, and can be sprayed over makeup. Just remember to let the Essence dry before putting your mask on.
Why it works for sensitive & problem skin
Why it works for sensitive & problem skin
- We've used a minimum of ingredients - only nine go into the Essence. Less ingredients mean less irritation.
- Formulated without added fragrance and without alcohol.
- Formulated with a skin-friendly preservative system. This means gentle stuff - primarily organic acids and their salts - and also that we've created a unique system for the Essence, to minimise overlap with other leave-on products and minimise the risk of sensitising skin.
- Ectoin is a true multi-tasker for sensitive and problem skin: its benefits include long-term hydration, diminished skin roughness, skin barrier repair and anti-inflammatory and anti-irritant properties. Liquorice root improves the appearance improves the appearance of dry or damaged skin by reducing flaking and restoring suppleness, and possesses anti-allergic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- The Essence's pH is around 5.5, and adjusted with mild anisic acid from star anise (healthy skin's own pH is slightly acidic, between 4.8 and 5.5).
- The Essence has been rigorously tested by our founder Kristina and chemist Jaana, both of whom have a long history of sensitive and problem skin.
Bottle made of light protective violet glass, pump made of PE-HD, PE-LD, PP, POM and stainless steel, label made of PE and outerpack made of cardboard.
Ingredients close-upShow all
Solvent. Water. The main vehicle for our Balancing Essence.
Skin conditioning. Ectoin is a powerful, small, multi-tasking and natural stress-protection molecule, a so-called extremolyte. From a chemical point of view, it is a cyclic amino acid derivate. Extremolytes protect extremophilic microorganisms and plants from the extreme conditions of their habitats like salt lakes, hot springs, permanent ice or deserts. The properties of ectoin have been proven by various in-vivo studies: its benefits include long-term moisturisation, diminished skin roughness, skin barrier repair and anti-inflammatory and anti-irritant properties. We get ours from a lovely little company in Germany, where it is produced through biotechnological fermentation from a specific, non-GMO strain of the halophilic bacteria Halomonas elongata.
Humectant and skin protecting. Technically a sugar alcohol, glycerin is one of the oldest, most common and most versatile humectants used in cosmetics. In our toner, it constitutes the solvent for the giant kelp extract we use. Glycerin moisturises and protects the skin, accelerates skin barrier recovery and has anti-microbial properties, among other things. This particular variety is made from European rapeseed.
Skin conditioning and preservative. Sodium levulinate is the sodium salt of levulinic acid, which is an organic acid derived from in this case sugarcane. Together with potassium sorbate, dehydroacetic acid and p-anisic acid it makes up the preservative system in our Essence.
Preservative. Potassium sorbate is widely used in a variety of foods and personal care products. It works by inhibiting the growth of molds, yeasts and bacteria to preserve the freshness and quality of foods, beverages, or cosmetic products. Potassium sorbate is the potassium salt of sorbic acid, which is naturally occurring in some berries, although virtually all of the world's production of sorbic acid, as well as potassium sorbate, is manufactured synthetically. Together with sodium levulinate, dehydroacetic acid and p-anisic acid it makes up the preservative system in our toner.
Preservative. Dehydroacetic acid is chemically synthesized through a multi-step reaction, starting with acetylene. Although it is not plant derived, it is approved by natural certification institutes such as COSMOS thanks to its mildness to the skin and body, as well as the absence of any alternative registered (approved) natural preservatives under the EU cosmetic regulation. Together with potassium sorbate, sodium levulinate and p-anisic acid it makes up the preservative system in our Essence.
Skin conditioning. Giant kelp. Macrocystis pyrifera is a species of kelp, and is one of the fastest growing organisms on Earth. It smooths and hydrates skin, with some studies indicating it has the ability to improve collagen synthesis and maintain skin elasticity. The kelp we use comes from South America.
Humectant and skin conditioning. Another skincare multi-tasker, dipotassium glycyrrhizate is the dipotassium salt of glycyrrhizic acid derived from liquorice root. It improves the appearance of dry or damaged skin by reducing flaking and restoring suppleness, and possesses anti-allergic and anti-inflammatory properties. Studies also suggest it inhibits the skin’s tyrosinase activity and melanin production, making it an agent against hyperpigmentation. And if that’s not enough, further studies have demonstrated that the salt aids in reducing the redness and irritation associated with rosacea, psoriasis and acne. This one is made in Japan.
Masking. Star anise derived, mild and skin friendly organic acid. We use it to boost our preservation system and also to regulate the pH of our toner. It also exhibits anti-inflammatory properties. Together with sodium levulinate, potassium sorbate and dehydroacetic acid it makes up the preservative system in our Essence.
What people think
Kasvovesi ei ärsytä ihoa vaikka iho olisi todella kuiva. Omalle todella kuivalle iholleni liian kevyt, mutta vähemmän kuivalle sopii varmasti.
Rauhoittava ja kosteuttava, sumu tulee miellyttävän hienojakoisena. Suosittelen!
Works so well on my sensitive and combination skin
Todella hyvä kasvovesi kosteuttamaan ja rauhoittamaan herkkää pod ihoani. Suosittelen.
Hyvin kosteuttava ja rauhoittaa ihoa. Kasvovesi tulee hienojakoisena suihkeena.