Brightening Treatment Serum
Pigmentation & fine lines
Free delivery on all orders over 25€. Delivery in 2-6 business days. Free tester with every order!
Our Brightening Treatment Serum is a nourishing but light emulsion-serum to brighten sensitive and problem skin the gentle way.
Fun fact: Bakuchiol, derived from the psoralea corylifolia seed, is a true sensitive and problem skin multitasker - it works wonders on pigmentation but is also takes care of fine lines without irritation. Or as we're fond of saying - you get the 'oooh' without the 'gaah'.
Formulated for sensitive & problem skin. No added fragrance. Vegan & natural ingredients. Developed in our own Helsinki lab & made in Finland.
How to use & tips
How to use & tips
- Apply 1-2 pumps to cleansed skin before oils and creams and after water-based toners or serums. Can be used locally or for the whole face. Suitable for under-eye area.
- Tip 1: The Brightening Treatment works great as a primer for combination skin: it hydrates while controlling shine.
Bottle made of light-protective violet glass, pump made of PP, PE, POM C, silicone and stainless steel, and outerpack made of cardboard.
Why it works for sensitive & problem skin
Why it works for sensitive & problem skin
- We've used a minimum of ingredients - only fourteen go into the Brightening Treatment.
- Formulated without added fragrance and without alcohol.
- Formulated with a skin-friendly preservative system. This means gentle stuff - primarily organic acids and their salts - and also that we've created a unique system for the Brightening Treatment, to minimise overlap with other leave-on products and minimise the risk of sensitising skin.
- Formulated without fatty alcohols and with a gentle, non-ionic emulsifier, hiding in our INCI as glycine soja seed extract. Bonus: it emulsifies the Brightening Treatment to high heaven whilst also being non-irritating and slowing down skin's transepidermal water loss. Yay!
- We put a fair bit of R&D into this one - trying to formulate a skin tone brightening and discoloration fading serum for sensitive and problem skin is no small feat. You want the results but not the irritation - the 'oooh' without the 'gaah' - and that's why we settled on the combination of bakuchiol and bisabolol. Both work magic on pigmentation, bisabolol is widely used to soothe skin and bakuchiol is also excellent for treating dullness ans clogged pores. In fact, research shows it be as efficient as retinoids, but without the irritation often associated with them. However, backuchiol is NOT natural retinol (as we sometimes hear).
- The Brightening Treatment's pH is around 5.5 ( healthy skin's own pH is slightly acidic, between 4.8 and 5.5 ) and it has been rigorously tested by our founder Kristina and chemist Jaana, both of whom have a long history of sensitive and problem skin.
Ingredients close-upShow all
Solvent. Water. The main vehicle for our Brightening Treatment.
Emollient. Argan oil. A staple for us. It is obtained from kernels of Moroccan Argania Spinosa, i.e. argan nuts. We love it in almost everything, and especially like its repairing qualities. It is slightly higher in oleic acid, but is usually suitable for clog prone skin. Argan oil contains a fair amount of lupeol, which has anti-inflammatory properties.
Humectant and skin protecting. Technically a sugar alcohol, glycerin is one of the oldest, most common and most versatile humectants used in cosmetics. Glycerin moisturises and protects the skin, accelerates skin barrier recovery and has anti-microbial properties, among other things. This particular variety is made from European rapeseed.
Emulsifier and skin conditioning. An emulsifier, put simply, enables the mixing of water and oil into an emulsion. This particular one is extremely mild, non-allergenic, and non-irritating, suitable for delicate and sensitive skin. It's a natural, plant-based and highly stable lysophospholipid extracted from a non-GMO soybean source, which is also able to reduce transepidermal water loss (TEWL), maintaining moisture in the skin and strengthening the integrity of the skin barrier. Bonus: it also enhances collagen and elastin production.
Antimicrobial, antioxidant and skinconditioning. Bakuchiol, derived from the psoralea corylifolia seed, is a true sensitive and problem skin multitasker. It works wonders on pigmentation but is also takes care of fine lines, congested skin and breakouts. Bakuchiol is often compared to retinol in terms of efficacy, and research shows it to be as efficient as retinol in treating e.g. acne, but without irritation. There has been abundant discussion on whether bakuchiol is sustainably harvested, and to make sure, we took one year off for the Brightening Treatment to ensure this: we commissioned a bachelor's thesis on the subject. Conclusion: yes, bakuchiol is sustainably harvested.
Soothing, anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial agent. Bisabolol. A colorless viscous oil that is the main constituent of German chamomile essential oil. The bisabolol we use is organic, and produced not from chamomille but from the South American Candeia tree, and contains no farnesol, a potential fragrance allergen.
Sunflower seed oil. Emollient. Sunflower oil is widely used in skincare and in this particular case it forms the base for the tocopherol (vitamin E) we use in the product. Sunflower seed oil on its own has a high concentration of natural vitamin E, and is especially well suited for dry and dehydrated skin, due to a high linoleic acid content (at around 60%), which aids in strengthening the skin barrier.
Antioxidant. Vitamin E. A common antioxidant for fats and oils used in skincare. We use the vegetable kind, derived from soybean and rapeseed. This one comes in a sunflower seed oil base.
Thickening, gel forming and emulsion stabilising. A natural and commonly used mainly thickener and gelling agent in cosmetics, xanthan gum is a polysaccharide produced through Bacterial fermentation of pure culture Xanthomonas Campestris with protein and carbohydrate sources, in this case from soy or corn.
Film forming. Also known as gum arabic, acacia gum is a natural gum consisting of the hardened sap of two species of the acacia tree. In cosmetics, acacia gum is used for it's ability to create less stringy, or slimy and sticky, gels. The acacia gum we use is ethically and sustainably handpicked in Africa, and is a 100% renewable raw material.
Skin conditioning and preservative. Sodium levulinate is the sodium salt of levulinic acid, which is an organic acid derived from in this case sugarcane. Together with potassium sorbate it makes up the preservative system in our serum.
Preservative. Potassium sorbate is widely used in a variety of foods and personal care products. It works by inhibiting the growth of molds, yeasts and bacteria to preserve the freshness and quality of foods, beverages, or cosmetic products. Potassium sorbate is the potassium salt of sorbic acid, which is naturally occurring in some berries, although virtually all of the world's production of sorbic acid, as well as potassium sorbate, is manufactured synthetically. Together with sodium levulinate it makes up the preservative system in our serum.
Buffering agent. Citric acid is a commonly used buffering, i.e. pH adjusting, agent in cosmetics. It is made through bacterial fermentation and shifts the pH of the product into the acidic range. This is closer to the natural pH of the skin, which may range from 4 to 7, but is usually thought to be between 5 and 6, with recent studies, however, indicating it to be below 5.
Chelating. A chelating agent improves product stability. This one is a natural alternative to the widely used EDTA.
What people think
Pitkään vaivanneet finnit paranivat ja katosivat kahdessa viikossa tuotteen käyttämisen aloittamisesta. Uusi suosikki, jonka ostan varmasti uudelleen.
Ostin tuotteen heti, kun se tuli markkinoille, koska omat iho-ongelmani "sopivat" tuotekuvaukseen. Olin hämmästynyt ensimmäisen yön jälkeen, koska ihoni oli heti kauttaaltaan tasaisempi sävyltään, epäpuhtauksien osalta ja muutenkin. Tuote on nyt jatkuvassa käytössä, ja ihoni kunto on kohentunut nopeasti. Ihana, hyvin imeytyvä koostumus! Tuoksuttomuus ehdoton plussa.