Our Clarifying Treatment is an anti-microbial and sebum-regulating gel that purifies sensitive and problem skin and fights inflammation - without drying.
We put in anti-bacterial, plant-based xylitol sugar and our favourite multi-tasking ectoin for a healthy skin barrier and to prevent dryness. Swedish algae-derived silica absorbs impurities from skin while adding hydration, and anti-inflammatory zinc and copper PCA balance out sebum production. Great for alleviating symptoms of acne, seborrhea and malassezia-induced acne (fungal) - the gentle way.
Formulated for sensitive & problem skin. No added fragrance. Vegan & natural ingredients. Developed in our own Helsinki lab & made in Finland.
How to use & tips
- Apply sparingly to cleansed skin before oils and creams, before or after any toner. Can be used locally or on the entire face. Applying too much will cause product to pill.
- Tip 1: Use under or mixed with our Face Cream for the ultimate treat + care routine for acne-prone and congested skin.
- Tip 2: Excellent for alleviating symptoms of acne, seborrhea and malassezia-induced acne (fungal).
Why it works for sensitive & problem skin
- We've used a minimum of ingredients - only ten go into the Clarifying Treatment.
- It's formulated without added fragrance and alcohol, and contains no added preservatives.
- Because of the high level of anti-microbials in the product, our chemist Jaana pulled off a formula without any added preservatives - the Clarifying Treatment is entirely self-preserving.
- By combining gentle anti-microbials with impurity-absorbing silica in an oil-free but hydrating base we created a formula that truly works on spots without destroying the rest of your face.
- The Clarifying Treatment's pH around 5 (healthy skin's own pH is slightly acidic, between 4.8 and 5.5) and it has been rigorously tested by our founder Kristina and chemist Jaana, both of whom have a long history of sensitive and problem skin. The Clarifying Treatment was also put through a lengthy trial with our sensitive and problem-skinned customers.
Bottle made of light-protective violet glass, pump made of PP, PE, POM C, silicone and stainless steel, and outerpack made of cardboard.
We are ingredient minimalist – we like leaving stuff out rather than putting more in. Skincare doesn’t have to be complicated, but it has to work.
Solvent. Water. The main vehicle for our Clarifying Treatment.
Solvent and humectant. Apart from being an excellent, non-irritating solvent, the glycol propanediol has excellent hydrating and preservative boosting properties. The one we use is made from fermentation of glucose, from corn.
Skin conditioning. Ectoin is a powerful, small, multi-tasking and natural stress-protection molecule, a so-called extremolyte. From a chemical point of view, it is a cyclic amino acid derivate. Extremolytes protect extremophilic microorganisms and plants from the extreme conditions of their habitats like salt lakes, hot springs, permanent ice or deserts. The properties of ectoin have been proven by various in-vivo studies: its benefits include long-term moisturisation, diminished skin roughness, skin barrier repair and anti-inflammatory and anti-irritant properties. We get ours from a lovely company in Germany, where it is produced through biotechnological fermentation from a specific, non-GMO strain of the halophilic bacteria Halomonas elongata.
Humectant and skin conditioning. Zinc PCA regulates sebum production, reinforces the skin's barrier function and together with Copper PCA fights pimples. The zinc salt of L-Pyrrolidone Carboxylic acid or L-PCA. L-PCA is obtained by the cyclization of L-glutamic acid, amino-acid from vegetal origin.
Thickening, gel forming and stabilising. A natural and commonly used mainly thickener and gelling agent in cosmetics, xanthan gum is a polysaccharide produced through bacterial fermentation of pure culture Xanthomonas Campestris with protein and carbohydrate sources, in this case from soy or corn. Together with acacia senegal gum, it makes up the gel base for our Calming Treatment.
ACACIA SENEGAL GUM→
Film forming. Also known as gum arabic, acacia gum is a natural gum consisting of the hardened sap of two species of the acacia tree. In cosmetics, acacia gum is used for it's ability to create less stringy, or slimy and sticky, gels. The acacia gum we use is ethically and sustainably handpicked in Africa, and is a 100% renewable raw material.
Humectant and skin conditioning. Xylitol is a sugar alcohol and moisturises and conditions skin, whilst possessing anti-bacterial properties. There is some interesting research that suggests xylitol has the ability to inhibit bacterial biofilm on skin, which in turn may be the cause of many skin issues. The one we use is made in Finland from European hardwood.
Humectant and skin conditioning. Copper PCA is also antimicrobial, astringent, sebum regulating and fights impurities. The copper salt of L-Pyrrolidone Carboxylic acid or L-PCA is obtained by the cyclization of L-glutamic acid, amino-acid from vegetal origin. Gives the product a slight blueish colour.
Absorbent. Mesoporous silica, trade named Algica, from Swedish algae, that absorbs impurities and bacteria. Improves skin's moisture retention by its ability to bind water, in a manner similar to hyaluronic acid.
Buffering agent. Citric acid is a commonly used buffering, i.e. pH adjusting, agent in cosmetics. The appropriate pH is vital for a product's preservative system to work, but also to guarantee its skin-friendliness. Citric acid is made through bacterial fermentation and shifts the pH of the product into the acidic range. This is closer to the natural pH of the skin, which may range from 4 to 7, but is usually thought to be between 5 and 6, with recent studies, however, indicating it to be below 5.
The Laponie Lab
All Laponie of Scandinavia products are developed in our own lab outside our native Helsinki. Our lab is run by our head of R&D, cosmetic chemist Jaana and our founder Kristina also works in the lab with her. Everything the ladies make in the lab, they test on their sensitive- and problem-skinned selves.
20 ml / fi