NEW: Hydrating Face Mask
Why complicate things when all your dry or dehydrated face needs is good old hydration - and a bit of nourishment?
Our simple and no-frills moisturising face mask for sensitive and problem skin is made with skin barrier balancing sunflower seed oil, plant-based glycerin for that ultimate hydrating kick, and anti-inflammatory and skin-rejuvenating, plant-based rhamnose sugar for skin that feels nourished, hydrated and smooth.
Inside tip: You know how we love multi-use products, and as luck would have it, the Mask doubles as a moisturiser! In fact, it's something of a richer version of our beloved Face Cream. Use it as you would a cream both for the night and under makeup. The Mask is also a great sleep mask - simply pat in a small amount over other products before going to bed (and don't sleep on your stomach for this one).
Formulated for sensitive & problem skin. No added fragrance. Vegan & natural ingredients. Developed in our own Helsinki lab & made in Finland.
How to use & tips
- Apply a medium-thick layer to clean skin and let sit for up to 15 minutes.
- Wipe or wash off, and follow with your usual routine.
- Tip 1: The Hydrating Face Mask doubles as a richer version of our beloved Face Cream. Simply apply the Mask as you would a regular moisturiser. Suitable around the eyes and under makeup.
- Tip 2: Looking for an intensively hydrating sleep mask? This would be just that. As a final step, lightly pat in a small amount of the Mask over the rest of your products, and wake up to soft and moisturised skin.
Why it works for sensitive & problem skin
- We've used a minimum of ingredients - only 10 go into the Hydrating Face Mask.
- Contains no added fragrance, alcohol or fatty alcohols.
- Made with a skin-friendly preservative system. This means we've created a unique preservative system for the Mask, to minimise overlap with our other leave-one products, using gentle preservatives.
- Formulated without fatty alcohols and a gentle, non-ionic emulsifier, hiding in our INCI as glycine soja seed extract. Bonus: it emulsifies the living bejesus out of the Mask whilst also being non-irritating and slowing down skin's transepidermal water loss. Yay!
- Sunflower seed oil is naturally high in vitamin E and strengthens the skin barrier and glycerin is a staple to treat dry and irritated skin, while rhamnose sugar fights inflammation.
- pH is around 5.5 ( healthy skin's own pH is slightly acidic, between 4.8 and 5.5).
- The Mask has been rigorously tested by our founder Kristina and chemist Jaana, both of whom have a long history of sensitive and problem skin.
Tube made of aluminum, cap made of PP plastic and outerpack made of cardboard.
We are ingredient minimalist – we like leaving stuff out rather than putting more in. Skincare doesn’t have to be complicated, but it has to work.
Solvent. Water. The main vehicle for our Hydrating Face Mask.
HELIANTHUS ANNUUS SEED OIL→
Sunflower seed oil. Emollient. Sunflower oil is widely used in skincare. It has a high concentration of natural vitamin E, and is especially well suited for dry and dehydrated skin, due to a high linoleic acid content (at around 60%), which aids in strengthening the skin barrier.
Humectant and skin protecting. Technically a sugar alcohol, glycerin is one of the oldest, most common and most versatile humectants used in cosmetics. It moisturises and protects the skin, accelerates skin barrier recovery and has antimicrobial properties, among other things. We use the vegetable, organic kind, made from rapeseed.
Humectant. Rhamnose is a plant-based sugar with hydrating, anti-inflammatory, skin soothing and skin rejuvenating properties. We get ours directly from our lab-neighbour Juho, two doors down.
GLYCINE SOJA SEED EXTRACT→
Emulsifier and skin conditioning. An emulsifier, put simply, enables the mixing of water and oil into an emulsion. This particular one is extremely mild, non-allergenic, and non-irritating, suitable for delicate and sensitive skin. It's a natural, plant-based and highly stable lysophospholipid extracted from a non-GMO soybean source, which is also able to reduce transepidermal water loss (TEWL), maintaining moisture in the skin and strengthening the integrity of the skin barrier. Bonus: it also enhances collagen and elastin production.
Thickening, skin conditioning and emulsion stabilising. A natural and commonly used thickener in cosmetics, sclerotium gum too is a polysaccharide produced from sugars through fermentation. This one gets its name from the Sclerotium rolfsii bacteria species. Origin: glucose syrup from wheat/corn.
Skin conditioning and preservative. Sodium levulinate is the sodium salt of levulinic acid, which is an organic acid derived from in this case sugarcane. Together with sodium anisate it forms our Mask's preservative system.
Antimicrobial, flavouring agent and preservative. The salt form of star anis derived organic acid. The other half of our preservative system.
Buffering agent. Citric acid is a commonly used buffering, i.e. pH adjusting, agent in cosmetics. It is made through bacterial fermentation and shifts the pH of the product into the acidic range. This is closer to the natural pH of the skin, which may range from 4 to 7, but is usually thought to be between 5 and 6, with recent studies, however, indicating it to be below 5.
Chelating. A chelating agent improves productstability. This one is a natural alternative to the widely used EDTA.
The Laponie Lab
All Laponie of Scandinavia products are developed in our own lab outside our native Helsinki. Our lab is run by our head of R&D, cosmetic chemist Jaana and our founder Kristina also works in the lab with her. Everything the ladies make in the lab, they test on their sensitive- and problem-skinned selves.
NEW: Hydrating Face Mask